Manufacturing and Materials Engineering Research
Our research in Manufacturing and Materials Engineering builds on our historic research strengths at Coventry, and adds new research teams through investment and growth. It integrates seamlessly with the Institute for Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering, our flagship collaboration with Unipart Manufacturing.
This area of research will take a holistic approach to fabrication and manufacturing, focussing on the three strands of Materials, Processes, and Products; and underpinned by our expertise in Metrology and Advanced Experimentation.
We aim to be the research partner of choice for manufacturing industry in adding value, effecting knowledge transfer, generating intellectual property, and raising new technologies from concept up through the Manufacturing Readiness Levels.
Our summary research themes are:
- Process Control / Product Verification.
- We will develop a scalable capability to be deployed cross-sector.
- Advanced metrology and experimentation
- Dimensional metrology for cost and quality benefit
- Destructive sampling and NDT for assurance of structural integrity
- Internal stress and damage development
- Supply chain management
- Partner with supply chain SMEs and OEMs for the study and resolution of supply chain problems
- Materials for advanced technologies
- Novel materials for nuclear power, aerospace, and energy storage and generation
- Integrated product enhancement
- Product development to address cost (e.g. reduced use of rare earth elements), or legislative challenges, (e.g. emissions targets), or performance drivers, etc.