Our materials research focuses on safety-critical applications and the fundamental scientific knowledge required to assure and improve safety.
We work on novel design concepts, characterization of materials properties, development of novel analytical and processing techniques and fundamental mechanistic understanding for improvement in lifetime. By understanding in-service material behaviour, we support our industrial partners in producing superior and more cost-effective products with longer lifespans.
Our largest research area is Structural Integrity where we:
- Study the response of materials for aerospace and energy applications
- Apply novel treatments such as laser shock peening to make materials more durable in-service
- Use advanced instrumentation to for materials characterization
The Materials Mechanics Measurement group researches:
- Techniques for measuring material properties from nano-indentation
- Atomic force microscopy to open up the possibilities of non-destructive measurement of materials properties and the generation of nano-engineered materials
Areas of research
Expertise in this area lies in the successful delivery of research into materials and structural integrity for enhanced product performance.
Our expertise supports industry via a cohesive approach to the supply chain. We focus on both the mechanical properties of the materials themselves and production methods to facilitate the development of stronger, safer and more sustainable components.
|Materials Engineering and Structural Integrity||Materials, Mechanics and Measurements|
|Group leader: Professor Xiang Zhang||Group leader: Professor Nigel Jennett|
|Group leader: Professor Alex Chroneos||Dr Mingwen Bai|
|Group leader: Professor Mike Fitzpatrick||Professor Richard Dashwood|
|Dr Ali Daraji||Dr Vit Janik|
|Dr James Griffin|
|Dr Saeid Hadidimoud|
|Dr John Karadelis|
|Dr A Khadar Syed|
|Dr M Kashif Khan|
|Dr Stuart Lemanski|
|Dr Messaoud Saidani|
|Dr Lin Wang|
|Dr Stavros Christopoulos|
|Dr Nicolas Kelaidis|
|Dr Navaratnarajah Kuganathan|
|Dr David Parfitt|
|Dr Pratik Shukla|
|Dr Bilal Ahmed|
|Dr Jino Mathew|
|Dr Niall Smyth|