Dr Michail Papaioannou
Principal Lecturer/ Subject Group Leader for Hospitality and Tourism
As the Subject Group Leader for Hospitality and Tourism, Michail plays a pivotal role in coordinating the work of the subject group within the Marketing, Fashion and Hospitality and Tourism Department. His academic focus is on International Hotel Management, with a particular interest in Internationalisation, Knowledge and Learning Management. Michail has presented his research in international conferences, as well as contributed to textbooks and industry magazines. He has worked as a Senior Lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University, where he led undergraduate and postgraduate Hospitality Management courses and lectured on various subjects, including hotel management and finance.
In addition to his teaching, research and administrative roles, Michail has had regular contact with the industry through his work with professional institutes. He holds professional hotel management qualifications and is a member of several professional bodies. Michail earned his PhD from Sheffield Hallam University. He completed his master's degree in Tourism Management and Marketing, and a first degree in International Hospitality Management from Bournemouth University.
Michail's industry experience includes key roles at prestigious properties such as The Savoy in London, Gleneagles in Scotland, and the Al Faisaliah in Saudi Arabia. His experience in the luxury operations and hospitality sectors has given him an in-depth understanding of the industry. He has worked across the food and beverages sector, alongside leaders and legends in the hospitality industry, and has managed the Royal Myconian Resort in Mykonos, Greece, a five-star leading hotel of the world, and later the Annabelle & Almyra Luxury Hotels in Paphos, Cyprus.
- PhD in International Business, Strategy and Hotel Management
- Sheffield Hallam University, UK 2022
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning
- Sheffield Hallam University, UK 2013
- MSc in Tourism Management and Marketing
- Bournemouth University, UK 2000
- BA (Hons) in Hospitality Management
- Bournemouth University, UK 1999
Professional and Industry Memberships
- Fellow of AdvanceHE (Higher Education)
- European Hotel Managers Association (EHMA) membership
- Institute of Hospitality membership (MIH)
- Cyprus Hotel Managers Association (CHMA) membership
- Member of the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education Paper Review Board
- February 2022 “Business and Hotel Management School – B.H.M.S. - Lucerne”. Position: External panel member for BHMS approval and validation event for BA Culinary Arts approval and validation event, delivered by Robert Gordon University.
- May 2020 – present “The Open University” – Hospitality & Tourism.
Position: External Examiner for Middlesbrough College, MA Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- May 2021 “Coventry University” – Hospitality. Position: External panel member for CU approval and validation event for BA in Culinary Arts Management, delivered by City Unity College in Athens, Greece.
Research and Consultancy
Michail Papaioannou is a researcher in hotel management, with a focus on strategy and the internationalisation process. His research interests include knowledge management, networks, organisational learning, and intellectual capital, and their impact on the competitiveness of hotels in the global marketplace. His research aims to develop strategies that facilitate effective internationalisation by leveraging organisational knowledge and intellectual capital. His research interests further expand to the fields of hospitality, education and the use of technology and extra-curricular activities within higher education.
Publications and Scholarship Activities
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. (2023). Learning and Knowledge Management mechanisms during Internationalisation: A hotel chain development perspective [paper presentation]. British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference 2023, Sussex, UK.
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. (2022). The importance and effectiveness of business simulation programs as teaching tools, for enhancing university hospitality graduates’ workforce preparedness and knowledge [paper presentation]. Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Conference 2022, Edinburgh, UK.
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. (2022). The strategic decision to internationalise within soft services: the context of hotels. In S. Tabari & W. Chen (Eds.), Global strategic management in the service industry: A perspective of the new era. Emerald
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. (2018, November 23-29). How to: Manage knowledge in hospitality. The Caterer, 26.
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. JOHNSTON, A. (2017, September). Experiential Internationalisation Knowledge and the Hotel Chain Degree of Internationalisation: a Conceptual Framework [Paper presentation]. Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Conference 2017, Aalborg, Denmark.
- PAPAIOANNOU, M. EGAN, D. (2016, May). A study on the effects of the economic crisis, on the two- and three-star hotels in Patmos Island, Greece [Paper presentation]. Council for Hospitality Management Education (CHME) Conference 2016, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Research Methods (Level 7 - Postgraduate students)
- Dissertation supervisions (Level 6 and Level 7 – Undergraduate & Postgraduate)