Language Centre Manager
School of Humanities
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
I am Languages Centre Manager and principal lecturer in the School of Humanities at Coventry University. I recently became a senior fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I teach Multimedia in Language Teaching and Learning to undergraduate students and Computer Assisted Language Learning at Masters level. I have also been involved with numerous JISC/HEA projects including the Coventry On-line Writing Lab (COWL) and the Humbox, an OER project for the humanities.
- BA (Hons) Contemporary European Studies.
- M (Phil), Coventry University.
- Introduction to TEFL, Aston University.
My research interests include Digital Literacies; Social Networking Sites and Language Learning; and Mobile Assisted Language Learning. I am currently developing a beginners’ Italian language learning app, ImparApp, together with colleagues in the University’s Disruptive Media Learning Lab.
Recent outputs and publications
- Orsini-Jones, M., Pibworth, L., Cribb, M., Brick, B., Gazeley, Z., and Leinster, H. (2015) ‘Learning about language learning on a MOOC: How Massive? How Open? How Online? How "Course"?’. Eurocall 2015. Held 26-29 August 2015 in Padova, Italy.
- Brick, B. (2015) 'New technologies and language learning'. Babel 10, 15-19.
- Brick, B., and Cervi-Wilson, T. (2015) ‘Technological Diversity: a case study into Language Learners' Mobile Technology Use Inside and Outside the Classroom’. 10 years of the LLAS e-learning symposium. Held 22-23 January 2015 in Southampton, UK.
- Brick, B. (2014) ‘Learning Languages via Social Networking Sites’ in Pedagogical Considerations and Opportunities for Teaching and Learning on the Web. Ed. by Thomas, M., Pennsylvania: IGI Global.
- Brick, B. (2014) ‘Institution-wide languages programmes in UK universities’. Deutsch Lehren und Lernen, Association for Language Learning.
- Beginners' German (A220DEL)
- Computer Assisted Language Learning: Theory and Practice (M10DEL)
- Syllabus and Materials Design in a Multimedia World (362DEL)
Areas of expertise
- Computer Assisted Language Learning
- Materials Design