Industry 4.0 and Lean Manufacturing: a model as an enabler for improved competitive performance
Award Details: Self-funded
Duration: Full Time - 3 years 6 months fixed term
Application deadline: This opportunity will only remain open until a suitable candidate is identified- early application is therefore advised. Standard University research application closing dates apply.
Informal enquiries are essential before application; contact Dr. Steve Martin to discuss this opportunity.
Congratulations on taking your first steps toward a Research Degree with Coventry’s Faculty of Engineering and Computing. As an ambitious and innovative University, we’re investing an initial £100m into our new research strategy, ‘Excellence with Impact’. Through original approaches from world-leading experts, we’re aiming for our research to make a tangible difference to the way we live. As a research student you are an integral part of Coventry’s lively and diverse research community and contribute to our reputation for excellence. With our exceptional facilities and superb support mechanisms you are afforded every opportunity for academic success.
The early phase of the research will focus on data collection and analysis of published material in order to determine a set of customer-led drivers for Industry 4.0, identify a set of individual metrics and measures as indicators of Industry 4.0 engagement and establish an analysis tool for measuring transformational progress and benchmarking against industry 4.0 best practice.
Later phases of the research will involve the collaboration of a Lean practitioner organisation in order to finalise the design and to test a methodology capable of identifying areas that impact customer requirements and actions towards Industry 4.0 to address these. At this stage it is anticipated that further organisations will be engaged to test the validity and establish the utility of the model through the wider application of the methodology.
A number of potential organisations and their respective supplier network have been already identified to collaborate throughout the various phases of this research.
About the Centres/Departments
Our research in Manufacturing and Materials Engineering builds on our historic research strengths at Coventry, and adds new research teams through investment and growth. It integrates seamlessly with the Institute for Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering, our flagship collaboration with Unipart Manufacturing.
This area of research will take a holistic approach to fabrication and manufacturing, focusing on the three strands of Materials, Processes, and Products; and underpinned by our expertise in Metrology and Advanced Experimentation.
We aim to be the research partner of choice for manufacturing industry in adding value, effecting knowledge transfer, generating intellectual property, and raising new technologies from concept up through the Manufacturing Readiness Levels.
Our summary research themes:
- Process Control / Product Verification
- Advanced Metrology and Experimentation
- Supply Chain Management
- Materials for Advanced Technologies
- Integrated Product Enhancement
Successful applicants will have:
- A minimum of a 2:1 first degree in a relevant discipline/subject area with a minimum 60% mark in the Project element or equivalent with a minimum 60% overall module average, or
- A Masters Degree in a relevant subject area will be considered as an equivalent. The Masters must have been attained with overall marks at merit level (60%). In addition, the dissertation or equivalent element in the Masters must also have been attained with a mark at merit level (60%).
- The potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a prescribed period of study
- Language proficiency (IELTS overall minimum score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component).
- Knowledge of the Toyota Production System and Lean Manufacturing is essential
- Experience of using the tools and techniques associated with Lean and Continuous Improvement is desirable
- Knowledge of Industry 4.0 or IioT desirable.
Eligibility & Application Procedure
All UK/EU/International students are eligible to apply that meet the academic requirements, the eligibility criteria can be found making an application page.