My Research Vision
"To develop novel real world ambient intelligent and pervasive systems using computational intelligence techniques for providing learning, modelling and smart recommendation capabilities in user centred environments. Current focus is on how affective and physiological computing can impact our everyday lives by monitoring, recognising and acting on information and signals from the body. Understanding these sensing modalities in context of ambient aware and ubiquitous computing environments will reveal a richer picture of how our physiological responses and affective states (emotions) and trajectories are a reaction to or influence how we implicitly or explicitly interact with the environment and computing artefacts within.
Dr. Faiyaz Doctor is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Engineering, Environment and Computing and associate head of the Intelligent Information Modelling and Retrieval research group at Coventry University. He has previously worked jointly in industry and academia to develop novel artificial intelligence solutions for addressing real world problems related to smart environments, energy optimisation, predictive analytics and decision support. His work has resulted in high profile innovation awards (Best KTP Regional Finalist 2011, Load Stafford Award for Innovation) and an international patent on improved approaches for data analysis and decision-making using hybrid neuro-fuzzy and type-2 fuzzy systems: WO/2009/141631.
His research interests include ambient intelligence, pervasive computing and applications of affective computing, computational intelligence with an emphasis on fuzzy logic, applications of type-2 fuzzy logic and hybrid systems. Dr. Doctor has published over 30 papers in peer reviewed international journals, conferences and workshops. He is co-organiser of the International Workshop on Applications of Affective Computing in Intelligent Environments (ACIE) in conjunction with the International Conference on Intelligent Environments and is the current vice chair of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society’s Emergent Technologies ‘Affective Computing’ Task Force. He is also and member of the IEEE and IEEE Computational Intelligence Society.
- Doctor, F., and Iqbal, R. (2013) 'A Fuzzy Ambient Intelligent Agents Approach for Monitoring Disease Progression of Dementia Patients'. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 1-12.
- Finker, R., del Campo, I., Echanobe, J., and Doctor, F. (2013) 'Multilevel Adaptive Neural Network Architecture for Implementing Single-Chip Intelligent Agents on FPGAs'. Proceedings of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 'IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks. Held Aug 2013 in Dallas, USA.
- Del Campo, I., Basterretxea, K., Echanobe, J., Bosque, G., and Doctor, F. (2012) 'A System-on-Chip Development of a Neuro-Fuzzy Embedded Agent for Ambient-Intelligent Environments'. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Part B: Cybernetics 42 (2), 501-512.
- Doctor, F., and Iqbal, R. (2012) 'An Intelligent Framework for Monitoring Student Performance Using Fuzzy Rule-Based Linguistic Summarisation'. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, 'IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems'. Held Jun 2012 in Brisbane, Australia.
- Leon, E., Clarke, G., Callaghan, V., and Doctor, F. (2010) 'Affect-aware behaviour modelling and control inside an intelligent environment'. Pervasive and Mobile Computing 6 (5), 559-574.
- Doctor, F., Hagras, H., Roberts, D., and Callaghan, V. (2009) 'A Neuro-Fuzzy Based Agent for Group Decision Support in Applicant Ranking within Human Resources Systems'. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, 'IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems'. Held Aug 2009 on Jeju Island, Korea. 744-750.
- Doctor, F., Hagras, H., Roberts, D., and Callaghan, V. (2008) 'A Type-2 Fuzzy Based System for Handling the Uncertainties in Group Decisions for Ranking Job Applicants Within Human Resources Systems'. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, 'IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems'. Held Jun 2008 in Hong Kong, China. 481-488.
- Hagras, H., Doctor, F., Lopez, A., and Callaghan, V. (2007) 'An Incremental Adaptive Life Long Learning Approach for Type-2 Fuzzy Embedded Agents in Ambient Intelligent Environments'. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems 15 (1), 41-55.
- Doctor, F., Hagras, H., and Callaghan, V. (2005) 'A type-2 fuzzy embedded agent to realise ambient intelligence in ubiquitous computing environments'. Information Sciences 171 (4), 309-334.
- Doctor, F., Hagras, H., and Callaghan, V. (2005) 'An intelligent fuzzy agent approach for realising ambient intelligence in intelligent inhabited environments'. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Part A: Systems and Humans 35 (1), 55-65.
- Driver Intent Prediction: Co-investigator on a Technology Strategy Board funded project (£49,000) on developing driver prediction models in collaboration with Jaguar Land Rover Ltd.