My Research Vision
I am Professor of Peacebuilding and Co-Director of Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations. I have nearly 20 years field research experience in the politics of humanitarian interventions, conflict prevention, disaster response, security sector reform, reintegration of former combatants and post-conflict state building. My expertise spans some of the most unstable regions across the globe including Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, El Salvador, Kosovo, Lebanon, Liberia, Nigeria, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan and Turkey.
With practical and academic experience of nearly 20 years in conflict and peace studies, Professor Özerdem has engaged in the development and implementation of strategy, policy making and evaluation in the areas of humanitarianism and post-conflict reconstruction. He has extensive experience in researching, advising, teaching, and publishing in the politics of humanitarian interventions, role of faith in conflict prevention, youth in peacebuilding, rising powers in peace and conflict, disaster management, security sector reform (SSR), reintegration of former combatants and post-conflict state building.
Professor Ozerdem teaches methods of conflict and political analysis in a wide range of operational environments in the context of war-to-peace transition. Also, the analysis of the challenges faced in peacemaking, peacekeeping and peace building processes, and approaches for designing effective post-conflict reconstruction responses through tailor-made policies and strategies. He has taught as guest professor at a number of universities in Austria, India, Italy, Norway, Thailand, Turkey and the UK and has supervised over 15 PhD/MPhil and 100 MA theses.
Professor Ozerdem has published extensively in peer-reviewed international journals and is author/editor of a number of key publications in peace and conflict studies. He is also President of Centre for Strategic Research and Analysis (CESRAN) and edits the online, open access Journal of Conflict Transformation and Security (JCTS).
- Özerdem, A. and Lee, SY. (2015) Peacebuilding: An Introduction. Routledge.
- Özerdem, A. and Podder, S. (2015) Youth in Conflict and Peacebuilding:
- Mobilization, Reintegration and Reconciliation. Palgrave.
- Lee, SY. and Özerdem, A. (eds.) (2015) Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding. Routledge.
- Özerdem, A. and Özerdem, F. (2013) 'Turkey and Human Security: Challenges of the 21st Century. Routledge
- Jacoby, T. and Özerdem, A. (2013) Peace in Turkey 2023: The Question of Human Security and Conflict Transformation. Lexington
- Bowd, R. and Özerdem, A. (2013) How to Assess Social Reintegration of Ex-Combatants. Journal of Intervention and Peacebuilding, DOI: 10.1080/17502977.2012.727537
- Özerdem, A. and Rufini, G. (2013) Reconstruction Challenges of L’Aquila: has Italy learned from its previous earthquake disasters. Disasters, 37, 1, 2013, 119-143
- Özerdem, A. and Roberts, R. (2012) Challenging Post-conflict Environments: Sustainable Agriculture. Ashgate
- Özerdem, A. (2012) 'A Re-conceptualisation of Ex-combatant Reintegration: ‘Social Reintegration’ Approach'. Conflict, Security and Development 12 (1),51-73
- Özerdem, A., and Podder, S. (eds.) (2011) Child Soldiers: From Recruitment to Reintegration. London: Palgrave
- Özerdem, A., and Podder, S. (2011) 'Disarming Youth Combatants: Mitigating Youth Radicalization and Violent Extremism'. Journal of Strategic Security 4 (4), 63-80
- Kapucu, N. and Özerdem, A. (2011) Managing Emergencies and Crises: Continental Perspectives. Boston: Jones and Bartlett
- Maclay, C. and Özerdem, A. (2010) ‘Use’ Them or ‘Lose’ Them: Engaging Liberia’s Disconnected Youth through Socio-Political Integration. International Peacekeeping, 17(3), 343-360
- 2016-2018: PeaceTraining.eu - Strengthening the Capabilities and Training Curricula of Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding Personnel, Horizon 2020.
- 2013-2018: Integrated Peacebuilding: New Frontiers of Peace, Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust, £500,000
- 2013-2016: Inter-Continental Conflict Transformation Experiences, FP7 Marie Curie IRSES programme, £151,000
- 2012-2015: Conflict Transformation in the Middle East and Europe, FP7 Marie Curie IRSES programme, £138,000
- 2013-2014: Faith-based conflict prevention and early warning scoping project, Economic and Social Research Council, £71,189
- 2013-2015: Fostering Sustainable Development: Examining the challenges posed by maritime insecurity, Economic and Social Research Council, £27,166
- 2011-2014: CPRS Turkey – Peace and Security, £50,000
- 2010-2011: Evaluation of the Canadian government funded Cross-Border Management between Afghanistan and Pakistan
- 2010: Afghanistan Peace and Reintegration Programme – Advisory work for IOM
- 2010: IOM’s Information, Counselling and Referral Service (ICRS) Handbook for Former Combatants
- 2009-2010: Identity, Ideology and Child Soldiering: Community and Youth Participation in Civil Conflict: A Study on the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in Mindanao, Philippines, The British Academy, £7,150
Contact for New Religious Movements, contemporary spiritualities, and Asian religions. | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org