Coventry University is committed to environmental sustainability and the positive benefits we can have through managing our impacts and add value to the local community, society and the environment.
Key goals of the University include reducing our carbon emissions, increasing recycling and reducing waste, for sustainability to be embedded within procurement decisions, for University buildings to be developed to reflect our sustainability goals, to ensure we manage our impacts and are legally compliant using external management system ISO14001 and to promote sustainable travel options.
Through our research we are seeking solutions to global and local sustainability challenges, which you can find out more from our research centres: Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience, Centre for Business in Society and Centre for Peace, Trust and Social Relations.
We are also embedding responsibility with in the curriculum through the Responsible Futures framework. Our Education strategy has ‘Community contribution and responsibility’ as one of its core pillars.
Students, staff, the community and local partners are all engaged in achieving our goals. One example of this is the development of the ‘Your Rubbish’ app helping inform student and local residents on bin collections and recycling guidance. We also have a student-facing Facebook page ‘GreenatCU’ dedicated to engagement of students in sustainability.
Find out more in our Environment Report (629 KB).
The University has been successful in achieving many awards recognising our performance over recent years.
- First Class status in the People and Planet Green League
- Winners in the Green Gown Awards in 2011 and 2013 for Carbon Reduction and our Humanitarian Engineering Courses; finalists in 2012, 2014 and 2015 for Green ICT, ‘Edible Campus’ initiatives, Carbon Reduction and Social Enterprise.
- Achievement of ISO14001 Environmental Management Standard.
- A Green Flag Award has been presented to the University for excellence in our green spaces.
- We are a ‘Gold Top Cycling Location’.
- We have also been awarded the Responsible Futures Kitemark from the NUS, an award for embedding responsible values and practices within the curriculum.
- The University has been awarded Fairtrade status in recognition of our commitments to promote and support Fairtrade on campus.
Our policies and commitments
Find out more about our policies and commitments in the reports below: