I am my first career was in Engineering with GEC where I spent 5 years training to be a Fabricator/Welder. Later I returned to education and gained a first class degree in the History of Design and the Visual Arts from Staffordshire Polytechnic. I went on to pursue postgraduate studies in the area of Film and TV Studies at the University of Warwick before taking up professional roles in the media sector.
I became interested in the professional journey of media practitioners, particularly the movement into self-employment and enterprise development. These interests lead to professional roles in business support and sector development in the creative and media sector. I was involved in setting up and managing two large-scale support projects, as well as devising and managing an award winning international animation festival.
My interest in teaching has been a theme throughout this journey and for the past 15 years I have been involved in part time teaching at several universities, including the University of Warwick, Worcester University, Derby University and The Open University. In 2015 I accepted a full time teaching role at Coventry University where I teach modules on creativity, innovation and business start-up.
- International Enterprise Educators Programme (IEEP), Fellow, 2016
- Creative Business Management, BTEC, Matthew Boulton College, 2003
- PhD History of British Youth and Music Television, University of Warwick, 1998
- Film & TV Studies MA, University of Warwick, 1994
My current research interests include Creative Entrepreneurship and the role of Effectuation. I am currently jointly supervising a PhD candidate who is exploring cultural entrepreneurship.
Recent outputs and publications
- McLuskie, P (2016) Revealing the entrepreneurial potential in arts students, Experiential Entrepreneurship Exercises Journal, Volume 1, Issue SI-ETC, 16-20
- McLuskie, P (2016) Building contacts & widening circles, Experiential Entrepreneurship Exercises Journal, Volume 1, Issue SI-ETC, 21 - 25
- McLuskie P (2016) Enterprise education & creative arts students: a new perspective, ECSB Enterprise Education Conference, 11 – 13 May 2016, Leeds, UK
- McLuskie, P. (2014) 'Mentoring Tips’. The Guardian [Online] 11 March 2014. [11 November 2015]