Coventry University has launched a Staff Doctorate Programme (SDP) in support of the University’s strategic objectives in academic capability and performance.
The SDP will support staff on a standard part-time doctorate and staff identified as on a pathway to a portfolio thesis (pre-registration).
The programme is open to all professional services and academic staff.
Staff who are accepted onto the programme will have:
- their fees paid;
- access to an enhanced programme of support and activity;
- 20% of their time ring-fenced for doctoral research;
- and up to an additional 3 weeks in a single block over the summer (or an equivalent period of time outside of peak periods) to provide focused writing time.
There is a programme of support for staff intending to apply for the SDP including:
- Is a Research Degree for Me?
- Get Going with Your Application
- Developing your Research Proposal
- Interview Preparation and Practice
Selection for the SDP is based on a single, annual institutional call.
Applicants for a part-time doctorate are required to make a standard application to the University to register on a programme of doctoral study. They will also make a separate application for funding and support through the SDP addressing the following:
- Provide a clear and realistic timeline to complete the PhD in up to 5 years.
- Set out a clear and convincing case for how the research would bring demonstrable benefit to candidate.
- Set out a clear and convincing case for how the research would bring tangible benefits to the Professional Service or School.
Applicants wishing to apply to the SDP for support on a pathway to a portfolio thesis (pre-registration) make an application to the SDP.
SDP applications are reviewed and scored by a panel of senior academic colleagues from across the institution.
Staff undertaking doctoral study have additional support needs that are primarily associated with undertaking a PhD alongside a demanding professional service or academic role.
These needs are met through programme of activity designed to facilitate peer support and ring-fenced time for postgraduate research and writing.
The key components of the SDP support programme are:
- ‘Shut Up and Write!’ session every fortnight.
- Regular catch-up seminar meetings.
- Two two-day residential retreats per year.
For further information, please contact Dr Heather Sears at email@example.com.