Students who apply for a Tier 4 visa will receive a temporary entrance vignette (sticker) in their passport which gives them 30 days to travel to the UK and go to a particular Post Office identified in the visa application to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) which confirms their stay in the UK for the duration of their course.
Applying for your Tier 4 visa
When applying for your Tier 4 visa you will be given a choice of Post Offices from where you can collect your Biometric Residence Permit in the UK. The form will list Post Offices based on the address of your accommodation and the University address in Coventry.
If you are not sure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help and more information.
2. If your visa application is approved, you will be issued with the following items:
- Temporary entrance vignette (sticker) in your passport - This will be valid for 30 days from the date that you entered on your visa application
- Visa approval confirmation - This will contain information about the Post Office that you have chosen to collect your BRP from
3. The temporary entrance vignette will expire within 30 days of the date entered on your visa application. If your vignette expires you will have to apply for a new vignette and provide your biometric information again. You will not have to submit a new Tier 4 visa application.
Upon arrival in the UK
1. You will be required to show your vignette and visa approval confirmation to the Immigration Officer when you arrive in the UK.
2. You must collect your Biometric Residence Permit from the designated Post Office within 10 days of your arrival in the UK.
- You do not need to make an appointment to collect your BRP
- If you do not collect your BRP within the 10 days you may have to pay a fine and/or your visa may be cancelled
3. If you are under the age of 18, you will need a responsible adult or a member of staff to attend the Post Office with you to collect your BRP. For assistance please contact the International Student Support team by emailing email@example.com.
4. You are strongly advised not to travel outside of the UK until you have collected your BRP, however if you do need to travel urgently please contact the International Student Support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: Checking your visa
When you receive your visa approval confirmation letter, please check that the following information is correct:
- Name and date of birth
- That you are a Tier 4 (general) student
- Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) of the institution that you intend to study at (Coventry University's SLN is: BDN68KDUX)
If any of this information is incorrect, ask for it to be changed immediately before you travel to the UK. If there is no time for the error to be corrected before you travel, ask the Entry Clearance Post for advice.
When you receive your vignette, please check that the following information is correct:
- The start and end dates of the permission are correct (this should correspond with your course start date and end date and the length of stay given after this
- That you have been given the correct work permissions
If your visa ends too soon, or if your work conditions are stricter than they should be, or if you have a condition to register with the police when you should not, you can ask for these errors to be corrected before you travel. Alternatively, you can travel to the UK and then request a correction of the visa error with the help of the International Student Support team. There is a deadline for when corrections must be made.