The BSc Applied Mechanical Engineering Top-Up degree aims to provide you with a practical, industrially relevant, hands-on experience which is based on the understanding and development of traditional and research inspired Engineering and mathematical science and technology.
The degree provides a rigorous balance of academic knowledge and development that allows you to solve engineering problems, through the analysis and critical evaluation using professional engineering, design and management tools.
We will help you learn and adopt working practices that are professional and innovative in manner where there is an awareness of fundamental theoretical and analytical approaches to problem solving. The degree will give you good grounding to develop the highly scientific, numerical, analytical, practical and problem solving skills that are sought within the engineering sector and other diverse fields such as managerial and finance and beyond.
On successful completion, you will top-up your existing qualifications to honours degree level through a course that has been specially developed to take into account the qualifications, and the mechanical and mathematical science and experience that you have gained through your existing qualifications.
To summarise, this course aims to:
- To explore mechanical sciences, materials, product design lifecycle and management topics and the applications to mechanical engineering
- Share with you the knowledge and understanding needed to make an early contribution to an engineering enterprise, the economy and society
- Build upon and advance your previous knowledge using activity-led learning, underpinned by research inspired teaching, to provide you with a transformative learning experience
- Create an educational environment that gives you access to both academic and industrial experience
- Provides you with the opportunity to deal with complex issues, demonstrate self-direction and develop transferable skills
- Mentor you to be professional in your outlook, be capable of team working, be effective communicators, and be able to exercise responsibility and sound management approaches
- To develop you as able and motivated to continue learning throughout their careers to meet the challenge of a changing world.
You will have access to and benefit from a wide range of teaching and research facilities. We have strong links with major international and national employers such as Jaguar Land Rover, MIRA, Airbus, Rolls Royce, GE and many more. The School has an outstanding reputation for teaching and learning and our teaching staff are experienced professionals that are industry or/and research active in their fields.